Lasers and LEDs are interesting equipments in electronics. Light emitting diode is a semiconductor light source and a Laser diode is a device with an active medium of semiconductor itself. HOLMARC provides a simple and an excellent experimental set up to find the characteristics of both LED and Laser diode. Using our set up you can find,
(1) V-I characteristics of Laser diode and LED
(2) P-I characteristics of Laser diode and LED
(3) V-I and response characteristics of photo diode
HOLMARC’s apparatus HO-ED-LOE-06 consists of,
● An optoelectronic source and measurement unit - works as a power supply (0-5V variable), an ammeter (0-200mA) & voltmeter.
● An optical rail along with a Laser mount and a cell mount.
● A specially designed Power meter to find the Power of the Laser beam as well as LED light.
● A 3mW laser with power supply and a polarizer to find the characteristics of a photo diode
LEDs are connected in forward bias arrangement with the optoelectronic source and measurement unit and voltage applied across LED is varied and corresponding current is measured and plot the V-I characteristics of LED.
V-I & P-I characteristics of LED and Laser diode
Replace LED with Laser diode find the V-I characteristics. P-I characteristics of both Laser and LED can be found with the help of a power meter. External efficiency of the Laser diode depends on the slope dp / di.
To find the V-I characteristics of Photodiode, connect it in reverse bias, apply bias voltage and measure the corresponding current. Obtain Response characteristics of Photodiode by observing the variation of output current with respect to the polarizer angle. Experiment your electronic skills along with our apparatus...